I found this recipe when I was looking for something interesting for breakfast. Rob and I love this recipe! We usually only make this when we have house guests, since the recipe makes 6 servings. Everyone that has tried this at our house said they really liked it. It is also great to make when you have guests because you make it the night before and then just bake it in the morning. I can't say enough good things about this recipe....you just have to try it! Yummy!
Creme Brulee French Toast
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 6 French bread
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon brandy-based orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier®)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mix in brown sugar and corn syrup, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Remove crusts from bread, and arrange in the baking dish in a single layer. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, vanilla extract, orange brandy, and salt. Pour over the bread. Cover, and chill at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove the dish from the refrigerator, and bring to room temperature.
- Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until puffed and lightly browned.