Hazelnut Creme Brulee Cupcakes
from Better Homes and Gardens special interest issue "Cupcakes"
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut liqueur
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped, toasted hazelnuts
- 1 recipe Vanilla-Hazelnut frosting
- 1 recipe caramelized sugar drizzle
- Freshly grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg (optional)
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 mins. Meanwhile, line twenty-four muffin cups with paper baking cups. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until combined. Scrape sides of bowl; beat for 2 minutes more. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in liqueur and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and milk, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Fold in nuts.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups.
- Bake for 15-18 mins. or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 mins. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread or pipe Vanilla-Hazelnut Frosting onto tops of cupcakes. Quickly drizzle with Caramelized Sugar Drizzle. If desired lightly sprinkle with nutmeg. Makes 24 cupcakes.
Allow 1/3 cup butter to stand at room temperature for 30 mins. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 1 cup powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in 2 tablespoons milk, 1 tablespoon hazelnut liqueur, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually beat in 3 cups additional powdered sugar. Beat in additional milk (3-4 teaspoons) until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Makes 2 cups.
Caramelized Sugar Drizzle
In a large skillet cook 1/3 cup sugar over medium-high heat until sugar starts to melt, shaking skillet occasionally. Do not stir. When sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to low and cook about 5 mins or until all of the sugar is melted, stirring as needed with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat. Immediately drizzle sugar mixture over frosted cupcakes.