I got this recipe in high school in Home Economics and I still love to make it. The recipe is really easy and we love it! Rob rates my Macaroni and cheese as his #1 favorite thing that I make. It is a great side with dinner and it heats up well the next day as well. The only change that I have made to the original recipe is that I add bread crumbs to the top of it before I bake it. I also don't put the onions in when I make it.
Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 1/2 cup elbow macaroni
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions (optional)
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, cubed (2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cook 1 1/2 c. macaroni in boiling salted water until tender; drain.
- In saucepan, melt butter; blend in flour, salt, and pepper. Add 2 cups of milk; cook and stir until thick and bubbly. (Its best to add the milk slowly)
- Add onion and cheese; stir until melted.
- Mix cheese sauce with macaroni. Turn into 1 1/2 quart casserole. (sprinkle bread crumbs on top)
- Bake 35-40 minutes.